Over the course of the semester, you will be required to read as much technology news as possible. You will then have to apply that knowledge to your interpretation of media and the impact.
IE: Google Acquires Motorola Mobility
- Google competing with iPhone? Why? Maybe Android apps?
- How does this affect media? Distribution? Different apps? Creating media for Google phones?
Al Gore’s Book, now on iOS blah blah
Submit three analytical writings about technology news that has impact on media and society. They key to this assignment is having an analysis and having information to support that analysis. 200 words limit.
(1) Oct 10th
(2) Nov 7th
(3) Nov 28th
- Week 1: Introduction / Learning Outcomes and Digital vs. Analog (Sept 5th)
- Week 2: Distribution / The Long Tail and The Internet (Sept 12th)
- Week 3: Niche Content: Guest Lecture – Frank Proctor of Muse Magazine (Sept 19th)
- Week 4: Social Media / User Generated Content (Sept 26th)
- Week 5: Communication and Power: Guest Lecture – Diane Stormont (Oct 3rd)
- Week 6: Collaborative Creativity / Lessons from Start Ups (Oct 10th)
- Week 7: Guest Lecture – Brandon Cheung of Tribal DDB (Oct 24th)
- Week 8: Machine Readable Media / Open API (Oct 31st)
- Week 9: Open API (Nov 7th)
- Week: 10 Censorship and Network Boundaries
- Week: 11 Imagining the Future (Nov 14th)
- Week: 12 Joi Ito @ HKU(Nov 28)