By the end of this course, you will be able to:
1. Describe and outline the major legal concepts applicable to the media, including freedom of expression, defamation, privacy, contempt of court, copyright and access to information.
2. Describe and outline how media law varies across jurisdictions, including Hong Kong, mainland China, the United States and the United Kingdom.
3. Read and analyze legal cases to understand how legal concepts are applied in practice.
4. Conduct basic legal research to find information on court decisions, pending cases and laws and regulations.
5. Understand the legal rights and obligations of the media and apply legal concepts to guide your reporting activities.
6. Understand the role and functioning of courts and gain familiarity with reporting on legal issues and court cases