Discussion: the difference between hyperlocal, local and regional/national/international news coverage:
and Donald in Macau — http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4251&Itemid=173 and
Read/view the Economist / CNN / WSJ and compare CE coverage with HK outlets
VOX-ASIA is aimed at an English-speaking international audience who know where HK is but not much more …. so it has more in common with the above than with the Post/Standard/Ming Pao/Apple Daily etc
Hyperlocal – Biglychee — http://biglychee.com/blog/ – heavily influenced by Private Eye. HK Magazine, Time Out (HK).
- – – –
Projects: Regroup on membership; plan first steps.
- – – –
Enterprise packages: start collecting your ideas
- – –
Important: we are half way through the course and I notice that some students do not seem to have grasped some basic fundamentals. There is no excuse for this.
– Datelines — still getting stories landing without datelines/first sentence bold.
– Third person — still seeing stories written in the first or second person. This is journalism 101, chaps. Shouldn’t ever see … “we asked ….” “told me” — “I went …. ” So put your egos away, please, and do NOT insert yourself into the story.
– Basic print stories. Some students are still not thinking multi-media and producing vanilla print stories with perhaps a photo thrown in as an after-thought. This is a MULTI-MEDIA course.
– Copyright infringement: Simply acknowledging the source of a pix is not sufficient in itself. You MUST HAVE EXPLICIT permission to use someone else’s work. Otherwise you are committing theft. You need a very good explanation if you don’t take your own photos etc on the occasions when you can.
– Failure to load the lede pix to the appropriate spot using CUSTOM FIELDS (when the template changes, Featured Photo will replace custom fields.) The principle remains the same.
– Unnecessary use of tables. The page widths are preset. Use tables only when they are needed. They slow down page loading.
– Style-sheet violations, particularly US spelling.
These are beginners’ errors. There is no excuse for ANY of them. Read the style-sheet (see top bar).
- – – – -
Assign next set of coordinators (nb Reading Week)
Demo of new template
Check on photo etc archiving
Coverage to date
Future coverage plans
Produce buttons and badges
Start planning for “the day”.